The built environment industry is shifting focus to providing enhanced experiences and services. We help organisations adapt to this change by leading the pivot towards science based methods, action and delivery. Our bespoke framework is informed by cognitive neuroscience, the academic field that studies the biological processes and aspects that underlie cognition. Our key outputs provide clients effective methods to enhance user experience.
With our scientists specialising in spatial cognition, memory, attention, and the visual system we have ideal expertise for understanding how people experience space. Our built environment specialists, at both design and business level, use their industry experience to identify how and when this insight is best applied.
Our partnership with UCL gives us access to world-class testing facilities
An academically driven research team within the Institute of Behavioural Neuroscience at UCL. Specialises in spatial cognition research, with leading publications in high-impact scientific journals.
- Allows for the study of the neural basis of spatial cognition.
- Employs cognitive and behavioural neuroscience techniques.
- Research methods include MRI, EEG, MEG, transcranial electrical stimulation, virtual reality, neuropsychological testing of patients, eye-tracking, mass online testing via bespoke apps, cognitive discourse analysis, rodent behavioural testing and single unit electrophysiological recording in rodents.
A unique and novel engineering research facility in North London, using highly flexible equipment such as a pneumatic testing platform, suspended lighting and sound systems to build full-scale infrastructure in a controlled setting.
- Allows for the collection of quantifiable data on human movement and interactions.
- Mimics real world environments in a controlled manner.
- Enables the collection and analysis of data, allowing researchers to gain a better understanding of how the built environment impacts upon pedestrians ability to move around.
A research lab within the Bartlett School of Architecture at UCL that uses large-scale 3D scanning technology to create digital replicas of buildings, spaces and environments.
- A comprehensive data capture service using the latest 3D laser scanning technology to conduct pointcloud surveys.
- Allows for the digital mapping of the world in 3D: everything from large scale city spaces to small industrial components.
- Captures precisely measured replicas of buildings, landscapes and
scientific expertise within industry
We have a team of qualified professionals from neuroscience, architecture and the built environment. Dr. Spiers specialises in spatial navigation and has worked with companies like Deutsche Telekom and Google. Araceli, as a science communicator, has worked with organisations like Nike, Lloyds, and Communicator Group. Scientific expertise within industry gives the Centric Lab a unique ability to translate neuroscience into the built environment. Additional clients of note include Axa Real Estate Investment Managers, the Future Cities Catapult & Urban Thinkscape.